Monday, March 11, 2013

The End

Last Thursday, the SP13-1 Pages and I handed back our uniforms, packed our bags and said our goodbyes.


It was a very emotional day for all of us;
At 11:45, our last Question Period as Legislative Pages ended.
At 1:00, we had our last procession line as a group.
At 2:00, our last Routine Proceedings at Legislative Pages ended.
At around 4:30, the House adjourned and ended our last day as Pages.
An hour and a half later, we left the Page Quarters for the last time.

I can't even express how amazing this experience was for me. I got to experience things, to meet people that hardly any kids my age get to.
I got to walk onto the Legislative Chamber floors.
I got to meet the Speaker, the Clerk, the Premier and the Lieutenant Governor, all in the span of a week.
I got to work in the Legislative Assembly of Ontario, while I was still in middle school.

But it's not just the work that I'll miss. Of course I will still miss it. I'll miss how professional and important I felt in my uniform, walking around on the Chamber floor knowing exactly what I need to do. I'm going to miss walking in the Legislative Precinct. I'm so familiar with some of the places at Queen's Park, I felt at home there.

But what I think I miss most of all is the group. The Legislative Pages.
The Parliamentary Protocol and Public Relations Branch, the section of the Legislative Assembly responsible for the Legislative Pages only chooses the best of the best students in Ontario for their program.
When you stick twenty four of the best kids in Ontario in one classroom, you are bound to make some friendships.
I can't describe the relationship I've made with the other Pages. They are from all over Ontario; some from as far as Sault St. Marie and Ottawa. Despite the distances between us, I'm going to be sure to keep in contact with them. They are some of the nicest and funniest people I've known. The private jokes we've made up, the memories we've built together will never leave me.

I'll never forget the SP13-1 Pages.
I'll never forget the Legislative Page Program. 


These are the Perks of being a Legislative Page.



Side note: I will be publishing the post about my meetings with the Premier and the Clerk later this week. I just felt it was more appropriate to talk about the end of my experience before hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment