Monday, February 18, 2013

Anticipation

I begin my term of duty as a Legislative Page on Tuesday, February 19th, 2013.
That's tomorrow.


All this week I've been super excited to begin my term; I've been studying MPPs, watching the training video, reading my study materials and checking the Legislative Assembly of Ontario's site. I even practiced how to sit (ankles together, right hand draped over the left) and how to walk (back straight, swiveling on one foot when turning).
And now the time is here.

When I realized how close I was to finally get to serve at the Legislature, I was hit with a wave of worry; what happens if I forget an MPP's name when they are talking to me? What if I forget not to walk in between the Mace and the Speaker of the House? What if I spill my food on my uniform, and ruin it? What if?

Then I reminded myself the feeling of happiness I felt when I was told I had been accepted to the Legislative Page Program. I  reminded myself of how fun my orientation day was. I reminded myself how excited I've been in the last few weeks, of the relief I felt when I was told that the Legislature was resuming. I reminded myself how much I wanted to do this. I was accepted to the Page Program; I was good enough to get in, that must mean that I have nothing to worry about.

As I'm writing this, I'm not as worried as I was earlier today.
I'm excited; after half a year of waiting and studying, I'm finally getting to do what I applied for.
Tomorrow, I am a Legislative Page.


No comments:

Post a Comment