Tuesday, February 19, 2013

My First Day, and the Throne Speech.

Today was my first day on the job as a Legislative Page.


Traditionally, a Page's first day is very hectic; they begin to work in the Chamber at 9:00. However, as today was the first day that the Parliament was working after it was prorogued by Mr. McGuinty, today was the day of the Throne Speech: Mr. Onley, the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario read a speech written by the Cabinet Members of their plans for this session. 

The Throne Speech was at 3pm; this left us with the whole day to study and go over how to be Pages. 

When I arrived at Queen's Park this morning, I went to the Page Quarters. I quickly got changed into my new 3-piece uniform, along with the rest of the Pages. We then all went to the classroom, where we played some ice-breakers before beginning 'Legislative Process' class. For the next hour and a half, we went over several aspects of being a page; how to deliver the four Key Documents (Reports by Committees, Introduction of Bills, Motions, and Petitions), how we walk to and from the Chamber in our Procession Lines, how we navigate the Legislative Precinct (The Main Building, Whitney Block, The North Wing) and much more. After a short break for socializing and eating, we all headed up to the Hansard's Office. The Hansard is a team of people who work to scribe everything that goes on in the Chamber. We were introduced to some of the Hansards before heading back downstairs. Instead of returning to the Page Quarters, we went to the (then empty) Chamber and practiced our page duties. 

After an hour long break for lunch, we were back in the classroom. We went over more Page Program things; how to deliver and take deliveries from the Whitney Block across the street, and the step-by-step process of delivering water to an MPP. At around 2:00, we all got into our procession lines and headed upstairs. By that time, the Legislative Building was getting busy; all sorts of important personnel were arriving for the Throne Speech. The Pages arranged ourselves in two lines on either side of the hallway leading to the Chamber from the West Wing. As the hour up to the Throne Speech passed, me and my fellow pages stood there, greeting MPPs and guests alike with cheerful 'Hello!'s and 'Good Afternoon!'s. 
At five minutes to three o'clock, the mood in the room changed as the crowd settled down and entered the Chamber. Down in the West Wing, a group of people began to walk towards the Chamber. Led by a praised member of the Canadian Military, the Lieutenant Governor, Premier and Clerks walked down, passing by the two lines that the Pages made. 

The procession, which was followed by several other members of Militia, made its way past the main entrance to the Chamber to the Government Entrance in the East Lobby, and then went in to begin the Throne Speech.

At this point, the Pages and I had to go back to the Page Quarters; only invited members are allowed in the Chamber during the Throne Speech, and the Pages weren't invited members. We attentivelly watched the Throne Speech, projected on a Smart Board in our Quarters for the next fourty-five minutes until the Lieutenant Governor finished. 
The rest of our shortened day was spent learning in the Page Quarters. 

Overall, I'd say that I had an amazing, fun first day. I got to know the other wonderful Pages that will be serving alongside me for the next three weeks; I got an extra day to study and go over my materials (which is a huge plus!) and I got to experience some of the page's everyday life.

Tomorrow, not only will it be my first day serving in the Chamber but I will be a Page Captain; When the Speaker comes into the Chamber with the Sergeant-of-Arms and the Mace, two Pages accompany them. Tomorrow, I will be one of those pages.
I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment