Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Seconds Time's the Charm!

As I spoke about yesterday, I was not accepted to the Legislative Page Program on my first application.
Come around June, and I was trying again. 

On my second essay, I made sure to be writing in a more positive, active tense than the previous one; I checked and double-checked for errors, factual or not. I was sure to keep a non-partisan face.

 I succeeded. I got in. 


I remember when I was told that I was admitted to the Page Program like it was yesterday. It was about 9am on a Friday morning in late July; I was sleeping in, as I did nearly every day during the summer break. My sister ran into my room, waking me up and handing me the phone. I was hardly awake, still rubbing the sleep out of my eyes when the woman on the other end of the phone (Deanna, the Page Program Secretary) told me that I was accepted to the Legislative Page Program. I was in disbelief; I had reached my goal.

Now what?

In the following week, I got a folder in the mail. This folder contained a welcome booklet for me, my parents and one for my school. As well, the study materials for my term of duty was included in the package; 107 Members of Parliament (MPPs)'s photos, names and Ridings on cue cards and posters, as well as several copies of the seating plan for the 40th Legislative Assembly of Ontario. I had  four months to memorize all of that before my term of duty, which was sheduled for November 13-December 13th.
It was time to get serious, to get studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment