Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Page Captain

Today was a very special day for me; not only was it my first day working in the Chamber in the Legislative Assembly of Ontario, but I was a Page Captain!


Each Page gets to be a Page Captain once in their legislative duty. I was fortunate enough to catch a spot as the first Page Captain in the session.

Being a Page Captain comes with several benefits and responsibilities: The pair, sometimes trio of Page Captains gets to walk in the Speaker's procession, along with the Clerks and the Sergeant-at-Arms up through the Main Building of the Legislative Precinct to the Chamber. As this was the first time that the House was sitting ever since the Government was prorogued, the entire procession was filmed and televised. If you tune into the Ontario Legislative Assembly on TV, there is a good chance you will see me in the Speaker's Procession at the beginning of the day!

Speaker's Procession; Sergeant-at-Arms at the Front, followed by the Speaker, the four clerks and the Page Captains.
As well as being given the honor of walking among the Speaker, Clerks and Sergeant-at-Arms, Page Captains have special duties throughout the day; They need to be demonstrating how an ideal Page would behave; they need to watch over the other Pages and make sure everyone is neat and in order, as well as make sure that the Page Quarters are clean. Also, Page Captains must present a report the following morning, giving feedback to the group on the previous day and how to improve.

But I'm sure some of you may be wondering; Daniella, how was working in the chamber?

Personally, I found the experience amazing. Of course, it was very stressful at the beginning of the day; there was a few times that I was asked to deliver a note, and I completely forgot every MPP that I had spent months studying.
However, I really enjoyed the sense of responsibility, professionalism and importance as I carried myself through the Legislative Chamber. Pages always need to look professional; in our suits, that isn't very difficult. But it makes me feel good when I walk in a tall, proud stance to an MPP to deliver their water. I feel important, when I stand on the Dias beside the Speaker. I feel like a belong, among the other Legislative Pages.
This is were I belong.

8 comments:

  1. At 9am, 10:30 on Sundays. You know this AJ :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops I mean Mondays. We don't work on Sundays

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Daniella, I have a few questions about applying for Page Program. My son is going to start grade 7 this September, is he eligible to apply now?
    Thank you,
    Nurgul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Nurgul! Yes, your son is eligible for the upcoming Spring session as long as is maintaining an 80% average or higher.. He needs to send his submission in by November 15th. Please check out the Legislative Page Program's site (http://bit.ly/QHhHwf). I hope he has the best of luck applying for the Page Program!
      -Daniella

      Delete
  4. Sorry, Daniella, just saw your reply. And thank you, he did apply, keeping fingers cross:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really good! I hope he gets in as well. Good luck! :D
    -Daniella

    ReplyDelete